Monday, October 5, 2009

The "Vanity" Search

Do you Google yourself? We do.

I'm happy to say that when I type in "Third Coast" to that ubiquitous search engine Third Coast Literary Magazine was the first entry to appear.

The journal comes in ahead of Third Coast International Audio Festival, Third Coast Guitar Repair, Third Coast Rubber Stamps, and even the Wikipedia article that takes a stab at defining just what a third coast is:
an American colloquialism used to describe several (usually coastal) regions distinct from the West Coast and the East Coast of the United States ... most often used to refer to the Great Lakes region.

We're pretty darn proud of our search placement even if it is only a matter of algorithms. But you don't have to Google us to find our information; Third Coast is listed with all of the major directories of literary journals.

But when all is said and done, the one thing that surprised me in my search was the Third Coast Surf Shop in New Buffalo, Michigan. I've been a Michigander most of my life, and up until now I never thought you could "surf" the Great Lakes. Guess you learn something new every day.

No comments: